Monday, October 5, 2009

one step closer

I snapped this yesterday while walking from my car to get brunch. This is one of the reasons I love L.A. Back east there is a completely different set of textures and colors, and this dry, sand-colored stucco, with all the wires running all over it is just something I didn't see before coming out here. This is pretty generic by los angeles standards, but the light felt good.

Today I ordered a 6x12 rollfilm back for my Cambo, so with any luck, I'll have some negatives to scan by the weekend! Now if I could only get a hang of the Scheimpflug rule... It states that when the lens, subject plane, and film plane are not parallel, they must converge on a single point in order to achieve sharp focus... or something to that effect. This is why with a view camera, you can have an object in the forground, and an object in the distance in sharp focus, yet still be working at a modest aperture. By tilting the taking lens (or film back), you can play with the angle and shape of the plane of focus, changing it from essentially a wall parallel to the lens, of varying depth, to a wedge, at remarkably odd angles to the camera.

I'm hoping to shoot some fun environmental portraits of friends over the coming weeks, and use them as my Scheimpflug guinea pigs. If all else fails, I'll try that new photomerge button in Photoshop CS4 ;)

Photo shot with Nikon D90, Tokina 12-24 f/4, ISO 200

No comments:

Post a Comment